Tuesday, September 30, 2014

How Vivian got the only national scholarship slot in UK

HOW can we best describe a person who made a First Class honours in a course of study and also repeated the same performance in a national contest? If not genius, then the best nomenclature suitable for such a person is ‘exceptional’.
This explains the performance of Miss Vivian Nwofor, 27, a first class Biochemistry graduate of Novena University, Ogume, Delta State who applied for a national scholarship scheme where just one person emerges as a winner yearly.
Vivian Nwofor
Vivian Nwofor
Speaking with Vanguard Learning, Vivian said: “While conducting some research online, I stumbled on the Dr Murtala Mohammed Scholarship scheme and applied. The scholarship is for just one Nigerian who meets the required academic qualifications.”
It is done in memory of the late General Murtala Mohammed, who ruled Nigeria from 1975 to 1976 before his asassination.
The scholarship covers full tuition to study in London Metropolitan University, United Kingdom.
According to her, some of the requirements are; a first class degree, a score of seven and above in International General Certificate of Secondary Education ,IGCSE, English language and be a Nigerian.
“When I wrote the IGCSE examination, I scored 7.5. Out of the other first class holders that wrote the examination, I emerged first,” she said.
Before this time, she had applied for Presidential Scholarship scheme and University of Westminster Scholarship but was not shortlisted.
She said: “I did not believe that any of those applications will not be successful because I met their requirements.
I believed that with my result and with God, it will work out for me. Thus, I came out successful in the Dr Murtala Scholarship scheme.”
Vivian whose father is a retired civil servant said that what she actually wanted to study for second degree was Biotechnology. But when she saw the Metropolitan University advert which specified courses it gives out for the scholarship, she had to opt for Biomedical Science.
“I owe Novena University a lot because I gained a lot from there. My lecturers went a long way to contribute to what I am today,” she said.
Going down memory lane, Vivian said: “When I wanted to study medicine at a federal university, I recall that they were asking for money before they could offer me admission.
“Before that time, I always had the notion that a private university is where you can just go and buy a degree and that was not what I wanted for myself.
”In the long run, I met a friend who was a Mass Communication student at Novena University. She called me and I asked if I needed to pay before getting admission into the institution and she said I was not to pay anything.
“She added that if my WAEC result was okay, it was enough for me to gain admission. “Then I submitted my JAMB and WAEC results and I got admission into Novena University.”
Vivian noted that if anyone has ever heard that private schools give out marks or results, Novena is exceptional, “they only give students what they work for, if you work for your first class, you will be given the degree due for you. It is a school I am proud to associate with any time any day.”
Looking forward to what lies ahead, she said: “After my second degree, I hope to apply for more scholarships because I still hope to have a master’s degree  in Biotechnology after which I will proceed to do my Ph.D to enable me lecture.
“I like lecturing because I love to impart knowledge. As a woman, probably marriage along the way.
Novena university
While my stay in the United Kingdom lasts, I hope to make my country and alma mata proud as I aim to have the best result in the school.”
Dr Andrew Ekakitie who was her Head of Department (HOD) at Novena University while speaking with Vanguard on phone, pointed out that Vivian was an outstanding girl while in school.
According to the HOD, she was someone who knew the reason why she was in the university.
“In her class, she was the only student that made a first class in Biochemistry.”
Ekakitie who disclosed that Vivian had earlier represented the institution in an international science quiz competition in South Africa said Vivian performed brilliantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  "Sophia Momodu Is Demanding $800 For Nanny's Fee From Davido" Famous blogger, Cutie Juls has accused Davido’s baby mama, Sop...